Misbah-Ul-Haq resigned as Pakistan head coach on Monday (September 6) after reportedly not being consulted before selecting the national squad for the upcoming ICC T20 World Cup 2021 and asked to take a break for the upcoming home series against New Zealand.
It is being said that Misbah, who reached Lahore on Sunday after 10-day quarantine in the West Indies, went to meet with Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) CEO Wasim Khan, but was given a surprise.
The Mohammad Wasim-led national selection committee had already selected the squad for the upcoming home series against New Zealand and for the T20 World Cup 2021 without his inputs.
Misbah wasn’t happy with the selection of at least two players in Pakistan’s squad for the T20 World Cup 2021, especially that of Azam Khan, and he also conveyed that they can’t be in the squad to the PCB CEO Wasim Khan, but they both didn’t come on the same page over it.
Not just that, he was also asked to take a break from the home series against New Zealand, which didn’t go down well with the former Pakistan captain and he decided to quit the job. “Misbah then got another shock when Wasim told him that he should take a break from the New Zealand series to which the former captain flatly refused,” the source said.
Notably, Azam Khan, the elder son of former Pakistan captain Moin Khan, was selected over the former captain and experienced wicketkeeper Sarfaraz Ahmed, as the backup keeper in Pakistan’s T20 World Cup squad despite having only having made his debut in England in July 2021.
The PCB source added, “Misbah made it clear that he didn’t require a rest and considered the home series against New Zealand and England as very important for preparing for the World Cup but was then conveyed that orders had come from higher authorities for him to take a break for the New Zealand series.”
The source concluded, “When Misbah and the PCB CEO failed to reach common ground, Misbah made it clear it would be better if he didn’t continue as head coach.”
Noteworthy, Misbah, who was given the top job with the national team in September 2019, also conveyed that his performance would be reviewed before any decision is taken on allowing him to complete his three-year contract after the World Cup.