New Zealand Cricket (NZC) CEO David White on Monday (September 20) expressed confidence that they will find a window next year for the abandoned limited-overs series against Pakistan.
Last week, the Kiwis pulled out of the white-ball series in Pakistan citing security concerns, minutes before the toss for the first ODI. They were scheduled to play three ODIs and five T20Is in Rawalpindi and Lahore from September 17 to October 3.
“I’m sure we’ll find a window. We are scheduled to play them next year in January and February, two Test matches as part of the World Test Championships and some ODIs, so maybe we can wrap the games around those series,” White said on Mornings with Ian Smith show on SEN Radio.
However, NZC CEO reiterated that there was no other option left for them apart from cancelling the tour.
“(The Pakistan Cricket Board) were fantastic, very professional. We will work through with them over the coming weeks and months to ensure we fulfill our obligations to them, we’ve got to play five ODIs and three T20s against them.
“It’s really disappointing for Pakistan cricket, but we had no option but to leave the tour, unfortunately,” he said.
David White opened up on the nature of threat that came about despite extensive precautions.
“I was at home and we got a call from a government agency on Friday afternoon informing us of a specific credible threat against the team,” he said.
“I contacted our security person in Pakistan, which was at 3am in the morning, and we just worked through it with him on the ground and other independent sources as well.”
He said the New Zealand government agencies informed that they had information of a specific credible threat against the team.
“They informed us of that immediately and we continued those discussions and informed our people on the ground (in Pakistan). We had a contingency in place. We had a charter flight that was available at short notice.”
“So we were able to do that and execute that and secure accommodation in Dubai where the team are going to be staying for the World T20s, so that’s where the players are now. They are all safe and in a secure place, I think they’re in a hotel where there are two of the IPL teams as well.”
Three days after New Zealand’s pull-out, England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) announced that they will not send their men and women’s team on the tour of Pakistan, which was scheduled to be held next month.
The cancellation of recent tours is a big setback to the revival of international cricket in Pakistan, which has not been able to host major cricketing nations on a regular basis in the aftermath of a 2009 terror attack on the Sri Lankan team.